It Feels Like Home

Well I (Ann) finally feel like I am home. Why? Thanks for asking! I was able to make cookies yesterday. If you have ever heard my husband talk about my cookies you know that he married me for them. I had not been able to make cookies for the last 4 months, so I knew that he was needing some. We also have a rule in the house when we are apart there must be cookies around. Since he was leaving for a couple weeks, I knew I needed to send some with him. So last Thursday I decided to try to make them. This is my post about making cookies in our new country.

Here is the recipe I used:

3/4 c butter-flavored Crisco
1 1/4 c brown sugar
2 Tb milk
2 Tb vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 ts salt
3/4 ts baking soda
1 1/2 c dark chocolate chips

I had brought from the States butter-flavored Crisco sticks, dark chocolate chips, and a 9x13 baking pan. So I needed to find everything else locally.

First we had to go shopping for the ingredients. I had milk, eggs, flour and salt on hand. We had to find brown sugar, vanilla, and baking soda. On our first trip we found brown sugar and baking powder at one store. On our second trip to a different store we found sodium bicarbonate, which is another name for baking soda, and vanilla. We also bought a mixing bowl to mix everything in. So now we have everything.

By this time it is Tuesday of the following week. I first looked at the oven. How do I turn it on? James, do you know how? No, then lets call someone. Ok, we have learned how to do that. But everything is in Celsius so what temperature is that?

By Wednesday I am set to make the cookies. I measure everything first. Why are there chunks in the brown sugar? The molasses was not totally mixed in. I had to sift the brown sugar and the flour. When I crack the eggs, I had to crack them over a bowl to make sure they are ok, since they are not refrigerated. I was finally able to get everything mixed and ready. Now for cooking. How hot is the oven? 170 looks about right to me. But there is no timer on this stove, so I guess on that, too. The first batch was a guessing and timing game, but I finished it and decided to double the next one.

Finally over 7 dozen cookies are ready to eat and enjoy.

Now we are home!!!

No comments: